RE: ADO request: -ssc update-

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: ADO request: -ssc update-
Date   Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:52:06 -0000

I just think one risk should be flagged.

This arises from Joseph's code which
automatically -replace-s previously
installed packages. Naturally, this is
the main point of his program,

BUT

installing everything willy-nilly could,
in extremis, overwrite your own programs,
or any other user-written programs, of
the same name as those on SSC.

If you follow StataCorp
advice and place them in PERSONAL not
PLUS (see results of -adopath-), this won't
happen, but it's not guaranteed otherwise.

Note also that a package with a given name
can include several programs with quite
different names.

Naturally, this is also true of -ssc- used
by itself, as you can

. ssc inst foo, replace

and then find that your own -foo- (or -bar-) has
been zapped if you put it in the wrong place.
But it's the difference between
a shotgun and a revolver fired randomly.

Joseph Coveney