st: re: do file refusing to open

From   TEWODAJ MOGUES <[email protected]>
To   Stata _ <[email protected]>
Subject   st: re: do file refusing to open
Date   Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:32:00 -0500

Dan,
Crimson editor sounds like a useful device, especially if there is no
way to increase the capacity for do files to include more texts. Do you
know if it is something one can download for free?
Tewodaj
---------------------
Message: 25
   Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:56:57 -0500
   From: Daniel Egan <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: st: Do file refusing to open

I would suggest reading up on text editors (other than notepad) at
http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/t/textEditors.html.  I do not know
that you can increase the memory of the text editor.

My trick:
I keep one do file in the do file editor, which references the files I
have in my text editor. That way you don't mess around with the
master, but can change the subfiles at will.

 I personally use crimson editor. It has one screen, on the top of
which there are tabs. Each of these tabs represents a file, thus I
have

[master.do] [sub1.do][sub2.do][subN.do]

where master.do says "do sub1, do sub2" etc. Its extremely easy to
keep on top of files that way. Crimson also has syntax highlighting
which is useful, as well as the other nifty text editing tricks that
the stata editor does not.

If you are even more ambitious, you can read up on invoking stata from
the text editor, a trick I have heard of but never tried.

Dan

. Sometimes when I try to open a do
> file I get the message:
> "Could not open file because it is larger than 32000 bites". Of course
> I can always open it as an ASCII e.g. in Notepad, then edit it as
> needed, then run it by typing do c:\...\myfile.do but that is rather
> tedious if I am interacting frequently between running and editing.
Any
> ideas how I can increase the "memory" of the do file opener? I have
> broken the file down into smaller do files but I can't keep doing that
> as it becomes hard to overview the programme.
> Any suggestions welcome.
> Thanks,
> Tewodaj

Tewodaj Mogues
Dept. of Agricultural and Applied Economics
University of Wisconsin - Madison
427 Lorch St. #317, Taylor Hall
Madison, WI 53706