st: RE: Graph truncates axis labels and titles

From   "Jonas Dahlqvist" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Graph truncates axis labels and titles
Date   Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:55:28 +0100

I see... Pehaps it is time to check if there is any money left on my grant for an upgrade of STATA.

As for the titles, I am trying to use (almost) complete Likert-type  statement from the items. However, e.g. the statement:

"company or founder already had good reputation" (46 chars) is truncated to
"company or founder already had g" which is 32 chars long. This happens even if the axis is alsmost three times as long as the full statement would be. So, I guess it is the limit and 32 characters rings "four times eight bits" to me.

Thanks (a lot),

Jonas Dahlqvist
J�nk�ping International Business School
J�nk�ping, SWEDEN

>>> [email protected] 2004-11-17 12:30:17 >>>
You may not like this answer, but the best way
to deal with this is to upgrade to Stata 8.

You are quite right. Even by Stata 7 the -graph-
code was in several respects very dated. Some
of it went back to a time when value labels
were at most 8 characters long, and thus
axis labels were truncated. In essence,
StataCorp didn't fix this because they were
working on a total overhaul, which is now in
Stata 8.

In the case of axis titles, my guess is just
that there just not enough space to show
your variable label, but I am still surprised
by that. Perhaps you could give a concrete
example.

Jonas Dahlqvist