st: oblong correlation matrices

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: oblong correlation matrices
Date   Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:18:42 -0500

Wendy wrote

The cpcorr command seems the simplest method for now. But it seems to
use listwise exclusion instead of pairwise for the group of
correlations, so I am not getting the same results for pairs of
variables as I get from other weighted correlation commands. Is it
possible to use pairwise exclusion with cpcorr -- or is there some other
reason for getting different results for pairs of variables from pwcorr
versus cpcorr?

If you comment out the line of cpcorr.ado

if `slash' { markout `touse' `rowvars' }

cpcorr will produce pairwise correlations (and the N reported will be the maximum avaiilable for any correlation). The author of cpcorr might want to add a 'pairwise' option to the routine, � la

if `slash' & ~`pairwise' { markout `touse' `rowvars'}

as I do not see any reason why it would not be sensible to allow pairwise correlations to be generated in this context.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

*
* For searches and help try: