st: RE: Re: Kernel density estimation in a large dataset

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Kernel density estimation in a large dataset
Date   Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:34:04 -0000

Call me awkward, but if you have 20,000 observations
I am not clear how much you are going to gain from
kernel density estimation as compared with
a fine-scale histogram.

In addition, sampling --

because you have far more values than you need
in the middle of the distribution; OK, we buy
that readily --

is going to make any problems where densities are low
much worse.

Linear interpolation will at best disguise how
much you are messing things up in those areas,
usually one or both tails, not fix it.

In the old days, one waited overnight, or a few days,
for the output to arrive. Not so long ago, you
went for a cup of coffee (or a do-nut, in some
cases).

I don't know why Eviews is so much faster, but
10 minutes is not outrageous for anything really
interesting. You could read the manual or
the Stata Journal in the meantime.

Of course, if you want 100 (1000 ...) of these, there is
a problem.

Eva Poen

Nichols, Austin wrote:

> > You could
> > . sort x
> > . gen y=x if mod(_n,20)==0 | _n==1 | _n==_N
> > . kdensity x, at(y) gen(xdens)
> > . ipolate xdens x, gen(f)

Eva Poen [mailto:[email protected]]