st: RE: counting per index

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: counting per index
Date   Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:17:14 -0000

If I understand this correctly what you want is

gen count = 0
levels limit, local(levels)
qui foreach l of local levels {
	count if x < `l'
	replace count = r(N) if limit == `l'
}

I think you're right to be puzzled; this seems
a rather unusual problem. The only short-cut
I can think of is looping over levels of -limit-,
rather than over observations.

No solution with -sum()- seems likely to get
anywhere near an answer, as no -sort- order
will segregate observations into relevant
and irelevant.

Jelmer Yeb Ypma