st: is a "rectangular" correlation matrix possible?

From   "Garrard, Wendy M." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: is a "rectangular" correlation matrix possible?
Date   Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:55:53 -0600

Hello,
Is it possible to produce a "rectangular correlation matrix" in Stata?
I need a fairly long table of correlations, but do not need the results
of the default "square" correlation matrix (i.e., corr for every
variable with all other variables).

Specifically, I need to produce a long, rectangular table showing
correlations for 2 or 3 dependent variables (e.g., 3 columns) correlated
with a long list (e.g., 50 rows) of potential covariates.

	DV1	DV2	DV3
VAR1	r1,1	r1,2	r1,3
VAR2	r2,1	r2,2	r2,3
..
VAR50	r50,1 r50,2 r50,3

I am a fairly new Stata user, so may be overlooking a simple solution.
But, I have searched the ref manuals and Statlist archives to no avail.
The rectangular correlation matrix is possible in SPSS [e.g., CORRELATE
DV1 DV2 DV3 WITH IV1 IV2 IV3 IV4 IV5] so I assume it not an unusual
command.

Thanks very much,
wg
Wendy M. Garrard