st: RE: mlogit with constraints

From   "Gustavo Sanchez" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: mlogit with constraints
Date   Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:34:32 -0600

Dear Laura,

I am not sure whether you received my previous answer. I am reproducing it here:

    The problem is that you are leaving a space between the equation number and the variable in the second constraint.

        You wrote:  constraint define 2 [2]  debttoas23=0

        Change to: constraint define 2 [2]debttoas23=0

Gustavo

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Vartia, Niini
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 7:56 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: mlogit with constraints

Dear Statalisters,

I trying to estimate a multinomial model with categorical dependent variable (multi) taking values 1,2 and 3. I would like to constrain some of the coefficients related to the explanatory variables to be zero. After defining the following constraints and estimating mlogit model I get the message below:

constraint define 1 [3] L2debt=0

constraint define 2 [2]  debttoas23=0

 mlogit multi bktvolkasvu avhelieuribor m2togdp invr3 wint3 capint3 exint3tot3
prcosttot3 glvtot3 rdint1 tplkmyr ika loghenk forown L2profit fixtotot  debt
toas23 L2debt logcov, cluster(yrtunnew) constraints(1-2)

redundant or inconsistent constraints
r(412)

I must be doing something wrong when specifying the constraints. I Would really be grateful for help in setting up the constraints.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Laura Vartia