st: VS: RE: mlogit with constraints

From   "Vartia, Niini" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: VS: RE: mlogit with constraints
Date   Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:06:47 +0100

Hi!

Thank you for your suggestion, Scott. However, it did not solve my problem since the comparison group was already multi==1. So, I still do not know what causes the message: redundant or inconsistent constraints.

I tried the following set-up of the constraints and these constraints seem to work in the estimation. However, I am not sure whether this is what I want, i.e. to constrain some of the coefficients related to the explanatory variables to be zero. In this case the constrained coefficient is dropped from the equation.

constraint define 1 [3] L2debt

constraint define 2 [2]  debttoas23

constraint list
     1:  [3] L2debt
     2:  [2]  debttoas23

I would be grateful for any help with the constraints. I would like to know what is the difference between setting up coinstraints like above and my original constraints:  constraint 1 [3] L2debt=0 and constraint 2 [2]  debttoas23=0?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Laura