st: mlogit with constraints

From   "Vartia, Niini" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: mlogit with constraints
Date   Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:55:57 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

I trying to estimate a multinomial model with categorical dependent variable (multi) taking values 1,2 and 3. I would like to constrain some of the coefficients related to the explanatory variables to be zero. After defining the following constraints and estimating mlogit model I get the message below:

constraint define 1 [3] L2debt=0

constraint define 2 [2]  debttoas23=0

 mlogit multi bktvolkasvu avhelieuribor m2togdp invr3 wint3 capint3 exint3tot3
prcosttot3 glvtot3 rdint1 tplkmyr ika loghenk forown L2profit fixtotot  debt
toas23 L2debt logcov, cluster(yrtunnew) constraints(1-2)

redundant or inconsistent constraints

I must be doing something wrong when specifying the constraints. I Would really be grateful for help in setting up the constraints.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Laura Vartia