RE: st: RE: Quadratic term validity

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Quadratic term validity
Date   Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:57:02 -0000

I'll bow to knowledge here, naturally,

but

I still want to know if the quadratic follows
_deductively_ from plausible postulates,
or whether it just happens to be a convenient
functional form for theorists to play with.

To caricature the point, I could tell you
that I have a theory that conscience is
a quadratic in political power, but you'd
be prudent to want to know where that quadratic
came from and whether it's just decoration for
a notion I have that something goes up and
then down.

Otherwise, I think our concerns are pointing
in the same direction.

SamL