Re: st: Estimating marginal effects of linear and quadratic term from a logit regression

From   "maartenbuis" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Estimating marginal effects of linear and quadratic term from a logit regression
Date   Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:15:57 -0000

Dear Pradeep,

Calculating the marginal effect for a logistic regression when one of
the explanatory variables is also entered with an quadratic term can
be done by `hand' (well, by -nlcom- actually) but it gets a bit ugly,
see the example below.

Notice that the first couple of lines of the -nlcom- is the
probability density function of the logistic: exp(xb)/(1+exp(xb))^2.
The last lines of the -nlcom- command is the derivative of xb with
respect to x of interest, in this cas mpg: _b[mpg]+2*_b[mpg2]*(mean
mpg).

Maarten

#delim ;
sysuse auto;

gen mpg2=mpg^2;

logit foreign price weight mpg mpg2;

sum price, meanonly;
local price = r(mean);

sum weight, meanonly;
local weight = r(mean);

sum mpg, meanonly;
local mpg = r(mean);

nlcom(
	exp(_b[_cons] + _b[price]*`price' + _b[weight]*`weight' + _b
[mpg]*`mpg' + _b[mpg2]*`mpg'^2)/
      (1+exp(_b[_cons] + _b[price]*`price' + _b[weight]*`weight' + _b
[mpg]*`mpg' + _b[mpg2]*`mpg'^2))^2*
      (_b[mpg]+2*_b[mpg2]*`mpg')
      );