st: Re: RE: Re: program

From   "victor michael zammit" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: Re: program
Date   Sat, 6 Nov 2004 22:57:48 +0100

If the seven teams are G , Xe, Xa, K, Z , V , and N and they have each
played four times with the following results :
G vs N = 3-1 such that G gains 3 point and N gains 0 points
G vs Z  = 2-0 "       "    G   "      3  "      "     Z  "       0   "
G vs Xa = 2-0 "     "     G   "      3    "   "     Xa "      0   "
G vs K  = 1-1   "     "    G   "    1    "    "       K  "    1    "
Xe vs N = 2-0  "     "    Xe  "   3  "      "     N  "      0    "
Xe vs  K= 2-1 "      "   Xe  "    3   "     "    K   "     0   "
Xe vs V = 3-1 "      "    Xe  "    3  "     "    V     "   0   "
Xe vs Z  = 1-2  "     "    Xe  "   0    "    "    Z  "      3    "
Xa vs K  = 1-1 "     "   Xa "    1    "    "    K "    1   "
Xa vs V =  2-0  "    "    Xa   "   3   "   "   V  "   0   "
Xa vs N  =  2-1  "    "   Xa  "  3   "    "   N   "   0   "
K vs Z   =  3-1   "    "   K    "   3 "    "   Z    "   0   "
Z vs V  = 2-2    "    "    Z   "   1   "    "   V  "     1   "
V  vs N  =  2-2  "    "   V   "   1  "    "    N  "    1   "
then the classification for the seven teams is as follows  :

 team gamesp~d won tied lost points
 G      4                3      1     0     10
 Xe    4                3      0     1       9
 Xa    4                2      1     1       7
 K      4               1       2    1        5
 Z       4               1       1     2        4
 V      4                0       2     2        2
 N     4                 0      1      3        1
What I am wondering is whether it is possible to write some program such
that from the observed gamesplayed and points
you could determine the games won and/or tied and/or lost , ie whether you
could reveal the third and fourth and fifth columns of information, the
won-tied-lost columns .
As a matter of fact , the points held by G , which is 10 , given that it has
played four games has to be a construct of   3*3 + 1*1 .The 9 held by Xe is
also coming from 3 wins and 1 loss .The 7 points held by Xa is also clear
that it must be coming from 2 wins and 1 tie and the other is a loss . The 5
points held by K have to come from  1 win and 2  ties and 1 loss .
The 4 points held by Z might be vague in that it could be 1 win 1 tie and 2
lost  OR  0 win 4 ties and 0 lost .The derivation of the points held by V
and N  is also clear as crystal .
Obviously , the more games played , and the more teams competing, the more
difficult it gets to derive the teams' won-tied-lost distribution.It would
be quite interesting if this could be resolved by some program .