Re: st: Stata's functions relating to the binomial distribution

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Stata's functions relating to the binomial distribution
Date   Fri, 05 Nov 2004 20:42:30 +0900

Jean Marie Linhart wrote:

Please note the definition for invbinomial() -- it is a bit unusual:
[Excerpted]

Thank you, Jean Marie, for clearing up my confusion.  I actually now
remember the reference manual calling it a "twist," but its significance
didn't register at the moment.

There must be a story behind the different behaviors of -Binomial()-
and -invbinomial()- . . .

Joseph Coveney

P.S.  I have an alpha version of -blakerci.ado- working.  It's surprisingly
not much more conservative than the Blyth-Still-Casella interval (from
StatXact) in the limited evaluation that I've had time to do; quite similar,
actually.  If it survives certification testing, then I'll forward a package
to Kit Baum.  It yields a so-called exact binomial confidence interval
(guaranteed to have at least nominal coverage), one that is nevertheless
less conservative than the Clopper-Pearson interval.  It should offer an
additional alternative to the several approximate binomial confidence
intervals already available in Stata.