Re: st: summary statistics by deciles are not stable

Subject   Re: st: summary statistics by deciles are not stable
Date   Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:14:46 -0500

As Nick Cox says, "Evidence please".

If the values of the sorting variable are unique (which is either-or
case: either they are unique, or there are ties, so there is no "seems
to be" in the picture; there are all sorts of -duplicates- commands to
check this stuff out), then you should make sure you are using the
same sample, the same observations in each of your analyses.

Stas

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:06:07 -0500, Alexand Shepotilo
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use xtile command to break my data by per capita income deciles and
> then calculate
> mean and standard deviation of some variable A. I noticed that it always
> produces different results even if I do not use weights. Also it should
> not be a problem to rank the data since per capita income seems to be
> unique for most observations.
>
> Can you suggest any explanation for this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oleksandr Shepotylo.

Stas Kolenikov
http://stas.kolenikov.name