st: RE: bootstrapping with unbalanced panel

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: bootstrapping with unbalanced panel
Date   Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:58:48 -0000

You should search the Statalist archives. There have many
posts in the last few months on bootstrapping
time series. The consensus seems to be that
naive bootstrapping with time series is a very
bad idea, for precisely the reason you mention,
dependence structure. Special methods have been proposed
to bootstrap time series, but none appears to
have been implemented in Stata. On the other hand,
bootstrapping in terms of selecting or not selecting
panels may not be so crazy, but others may well
comment in more detail and with more authority.

Carmine Ornaghi