st: Sorting huge Datasets

From   "Barbara Hofmann" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Sorting huge Datasets
Date   Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:01:03 +0200

Hello everybody,

are there any commands which change the actual sort sequence of a dataset?

We got the problem of having some big datasets that must to be sorted every time by the same variables before executing commands on them. It takes up a lot of time to sort them, so we got two questions.
First, are there certain commands that change the sort sequence and others who keep it? And second, is there any command (e.g. assert) in order to check the sort sequence and only in case of being unsorted sorts the data?

Thanks a lot!

ps: what is the intern value of a missing?