st: running StataSE 8.2 with ESS

From   Tak Wing Chan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: running StataSE 8.2 with ESS
Date   Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:22:09 +0000

Hello

I just upgraded from Stata 7 to Stata 8, and changed platform from Linux to Mac OSX as well.

I have been running Stata 7 from within Emacs using Emacs Speaks Statistics, and would like to do the same with Stata 8. I have X11 (running full screen mode), Emacs, ESS, etc set up on my Mac. Since Stata 8 now lives in the /Applications Folder of Mac, I have built a symbolic link from /usr/bin to Stata as follows:

ln -s /Applications/Stata/StataSE.app/Contents/MacOS/StataSE stata

This doesn't work, unfortunately. When I invoke Stata from within emacs (by typing M-x stata) my emacs seems to freeze over, and when I switch back to Aqua, there is a message which says "Stata Application is Corrupt! Reinstall Application!", although when I then go to the Stata Data Folder and invoke Stata there, Stata still seems to be working.

Has anyone got any experience with this problem? Would be grateful for any suggestion?

Many thanks.

Wing

Department of Sociology, University of Oxford
Manor Road, Oxford OX1 3UQ, UK
tel +44 (1865) 286176 fax +44 (1865) 286171
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sfos0006

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/