Re: st: RRR with CI from logit model

From   Ronán Conroy <>
Subject   Re: st: RRR with CI from logit model
Date   Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:26:22 +0000 wrote:

Dear Statalisters:
let me enter late at this thread, to remind that -binreg- or -glm- f(bin)
link(log) many times fail to converge, in situations when logistic runs well.
Jose Maria

Jose Maria and I have different experiences of -binreg-. This week I have run a whole bunch of regressions that did, indeed, converge, and I reckon that more than 80% of the models I've tried have converged.
One strategy to getting -binreg- to run is to avoid adding all potential confounders to the model. Use -logistic- to identify important confounders and then run -binreg- on the resulting model. A few -binreg- models initially failed to converge for me, but I realised that the person who had done the original analysis had added a number of unimportant predictor variables. Once these were pruned, the stuff ran.

Relative risks make so much more sense than odds ratios (at least to me - I'm just a keyboard player) that I always try -binreg- in situations where the data represent incidences.

Ronan M Conroy ( Senior Lecturer in Biostatistics Royal College of Surgeons Dublin 2, Ireland +353 1 402 2431 (fax 2764) -------------------- Just say no to drug reps

* For searches and help try: