RE: st: -shell- safety

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: -shell- safety
Date   Mon, 1 Nov 2004 15:20:24 -0000

I agree. Also, there are no ultimate guarantees of
safety here.

Manifestly, the decision to install something on
your machine is yours alone. Clearly you should
consider among other things the reputation of the
programmer, and so forth. In addition, you can
always scan a program for OS calls.

In practice, if people want to be nasty, they do not
have the mindset that leads them to write and
distribute nasty Stata programs too. A nasty Stata
program would affect a very small number of people
for one. That's perhaps naive, but I believe it to be true.

Roger Newson

> I cannot speak for StataCorp, but I think the main problem with
> implementing this wish-list item is how they are to define
> "something-nasty". And I suspect that this problem will be
> subtly different
> from one operating system to the next.

Richard Sherman