Re: st: ivreg2 - error message: collinearities detected among instruments

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], "Ngo,PT (pgr)" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: ivreg2 - error message: collinearities detected among instruments
Date   Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:16:25 +0000 (GMT)

Thi Minh,

Quoting "Ngo,PT  (pgr)" <[email protected]>:

> Dear Stata-listers,
>
> I am trying to estimate the following using ivreg2
> xi: ivreg2 lriceyield2 (counting = per3 per4 per5 per6 per7 per8
> per3n per5n per6n per7n) birth_north2 exper2 expersq2 aland2
> anugood2 anubad2 ianulandsha2 i.comm92 if d92==1 & urban92==0,
> first rob gmm
>
> and obtain the following message:
>
> First-stage regressions
>
> Warning: collinearities detected among instruments
> 1st stage tests of excluded exogenous variables may	be incorrect
> [output omitted]

The chances good that ivreg2 is reporting exactly what is the case, namely
that you have collinearities involving your included and/or excluded
instruments (i.e., all the exogenous variables).

If you look at the first-stage output, you should be able to see if this
is the case: variables in the first stage regression will be dropped until
the collinearities disappear.

--Mark

> As I was trying to figure out what this meant, I tried to the
> following : to drop all excluded IVs except one which I know is the
> strongest one: per3n.
> xi: ivreg2 lriceyield2 (counting = per3n ) birth_north2 exper2
> expersq2 aland2 anugood2 anubad2 ianulandsha2 i.comm92 if d92==1 &
> urban92==0,  first gmm
>
> And I obtain the same warning message.
>
> Would someone know what is happening?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
>
> Thi Minh

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3008
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.