Re: st: endogeneity and IV

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], sistoand80 <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: endogeneity and IV
Date   Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:32:43 +0100 (BST)

Andrea,

I'm not an xtabond(2) expert, but ...

One way to think about the Sargan stat in xtabond(2) is that it indicates
that your instrumenting is OK from the point of satisfying the
orthogonality conditions.  That is, your instruments are "valid".

It does *not* tell you directly about what regressors, if any, actually
need any instrumenting in the first place.

In the simple IV context, this second question can be addressed using a Wu-
Hausman endogeneity test, or, equivalently in this context, a C or
difference-in-Sargan test.

In your xtabond(2) application, you could also do a difference-in-Sargan
test "by hand".  Say you have two specifications.  One treats more
variables as endogenous, and passes the Sargan test.  You want to know if
you can treat some of these variables as exogenous, and so you have a
second specification that does this but is otherwise identical (same
number of obs, same variables, etc - but note this can be tricky to get
right in practice).  You run this second spec and take the difference
between its Sargan and the Sargan from the first spec.  If the difference
is "big" (i.e., reject the null if it's above a chi-sq critical value with
#dofs=#vars being tested for exogeneity), you conclude that these
variables are endogenous and needed instrumenting after all.  If the
difference is small, then you didn't need to instrument them and you can
go with your second spec.

Hope this helps.

--Mark