st: Re: Unique identifier

From   "Janet Willard" <>
Subject   st: Re: Unique identifier
Date   Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:38:05 +0000

I have a dataset that consists of a number of patients and the tooth treated, typically of the form Evans LL5. I wanted to combine these into a single numerical variable to identify each specific patient / tooth combination. The syntax I have used is:
catenate code = patient tooth,punct(no)
encode code,gen(code1)
This returns a long variable which has the "numerical value" EvansLL5. What I really wanted was a numerical variable such as 1. Can I achive this?
Many thanks,

* For searches and help try: