st: RE: Bad dotplot command?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Bad dotplot command?
Date   Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:10:23 +0100

A -dotplot- to Stata is really just a special kind of scatter plot.

The trickery within -dotplot- is to map the values of one or more
variables to the coordinates needed to produce this scatter plot.

When you ask for a -dotplot- of two or more variables, rather more
is involved than with just one. In the temporary restructuring of
your dataset that's required, not everything that might be needed
for a plot is carried over. In particular, marker
labels are, as a side-effect, not supported. I imagine that programming
that was just a complication too far as far the programmer was
concerned, but that it was decided to trap such requests. Most people
who produce dotplots just use plain symbols, I imagine.

I just checked with the unofficial -onewayplot-, which offers a
similar display, and found that in effect I made a similar decision,
although it is not trapped at source.

In short, I surmise that your request is reasonable but at present just
not supported by -dotplot-.

Wallace, John