st: RE: RE: string question

From   "Rodrigo Briceno" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: string question
Date   Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:03:37 -0600

Thanks a lot!

Rodrigo Briceño
Sanigest International
Telf. (506) 291-1200
Fax. (506) 232-0830
Cell (506) 357-4535

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Wallace, John
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 4:39 PM
Subject: st: RE: string question

You're looking for the -subinstr- function:
.gen newvar = subinstr(oldvar,".","",.)

The syntax shows that in each instance of oldvar, the "." character is to be
replaced with an empty string, ""
You can find this in the online stata help by typing
. whelp strfun

...which will show you all the functions for manipulating strings.

Best regards,

John Wallace | Research Associate | Test Method Development
AFFYMETRIX, INC. | 3380 Central Expressway | Santa Clara, CA 95051 | Tel:
408-731-5574 | Fax:  408-481-0435