st: RE: length(s) question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: length(s) question
Date   Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:58:39 +0100

The problem is the space between your function name
-length- and its argument.

The correct syntax is not

length (s)

but

length(s)

Incidentally, I don't think it follows that every
string should be the same length for _any_ purpose.

In general, that would require some padding by spaces. which can
be very wasteful of storage. I am not clear
exactly what you want to do, but I've never found
padding by spaces essential (well, not since
Stata extended the range of string formats some years
ago), so there will be a better solution.

Julia A. Gamas