st: FW: merge using interval data

From   "McCrary, Joseph" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: FW: merge using interval data
Date   Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:43:36 -0400

Rich,

Could you, in each dataset, create a time variable that will uniquely identify an observation? Suppose, for instance, you were to create a year variable in your dataset with the individual data and the same year variable in the provider data. Would the merge get what you need then? If need be, you could create a month variable and then merge on provider ID, month, and year.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Richard
Goldstein
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 8:38 AM
To: statalist
Subject: st: merge using interval data

While I have an answer to my problem (see below), I wonder
whether anyone has an idea for a more efficient procedure.

The issue: I have two data sets, one large (gigabytes) with
individual data including a unique id and a date of occurrence
of a service being provided.

I need the status of the provider on the date of occurrence
for each case.  I have a second data set that includes, for
each provider their status as of a period of time (e.g.,
a beginning and ending date for a contract).

I need to merge the two so that the provider's status is
included in the individual data set.

The only solution I currently see involves expanding the
provider data set so each possible data (from the beginning
of the contract to the end) is covered and then merging the
two data sets (using the nokeep option).  However, this
strikes me as inefficient.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich Goldstein