st: merge using interval data

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: merge using interval data
Date   Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:40:27 -0400

Rich wrote

the reason not to do what Kit suggested is that there are multiple
records/provider as there is a new contract at least once per year
(of course, I suppose that I could "fix up" the provider file and
then do this ....)

No, you would not want to expand the big dataset this way. But you could do the following. Split up the provider file into those with contracts ending in 1999, those ending in 2000, those ending in 2001, etc. -- separate files. Merge them sequentially with the master file, and update the 'status' variable iff it is missing. In the absence of some SQL logic, I think that would work pretty well (and would not require expansion of the master file).

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

*
* For searches and help try: