st: RE: Re: integration of Stata routines

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: integration of Stata routines
Date   Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:54:12 +0100

I'd agree with Kit in broad terms, but invert that order.

It can be pretty obvious to StataCorp and many others that
(1) is true of a package, and apparent that (2) is true,
but (3), expanded realistically, is the crunch.

Any idea that (1) and (2) qualify a user-written program
for adoption by StataCorp misses out what's involved:

(a) scrutiny of code
(b) scrutiny of help file
(c) writing dialog if not done
(d) writing and running test scripts
(e) writing manual entry
(f) tech support

At the same time, note that the often expressed views that
Stata should adopt more user-written routines and that
Stata stay "lean and mean" are contradictory. Of course,
it is usually different people speaking!

I estimate that there are of the order of 1000 user-written
Stata packages in existence. Even supposing StataCorp to be
very picky, as they are, we could imagine them cherry-picking
say the best 100. Adopting those alone would probably add
a couple of extra manual volumes and slow other development
work considerably.

No, as Kit says, the purpose of commands like -findit-
is to make integration easy, in a different sense.

Kit Baum