Re: st: data manipulating question

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: data manipulating question
Date   Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:03:25 -0500

At 05:48 PM 10/22/2004 -0700, Phuong Lan Nguyen wrote:
Dear Clive,

I forgot to mention that I used reshape command but then my sample size has increased to 3 times as new variable. That means, I have 3 values for every single household. I do not want to change sample size. I just want to have exact number of cases as before I do reshape. so what is the next step for getting that variable?

Phuong, perhaps you could clarify what you are trying to do. In the original example, you had one case with 3 variables. Like Clive, I thought you wanted to reshape it into 1 variable with 3 cases. Same amount of info but arranged differently. I don't see how you could do what you want without increasing the sample size, but maybe I misunderstand what it is you want.

Do you perhaps want to add the 3 variables together in such a way that a single variable will contain all the info that was in the 3? If, for example, the possible values of each variable run from 0 to 9, you could do something like

gen newvar = 100*var1 + 10*var2 + var3

Each possible 3-way combination of values would be uniquely identified this way.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu