st: RE: Stata Wish List; which name Stata was born?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Stata Wish List; which name Stata was born?
Date   Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:31:53 +0100

"How" is not my story to tell, but on the name:

Bill Gould explained at these meetings that there was a working name of DiAL.
This didn't mean that much, apparently: there had been a different project
with the name in the company, and several spare folders were lying around the
office, suitable for use.

The late Hungarian mathematician and philosopher Imre Lakatos acquired
his name in a bizarrely similar way. In somewhat straitened circumstances
in WW II he came across some nice shirts with name tags "I. Lakatos". He
reckoned it was easier to change his name, so that the shirts had the right
name in them, than to change the shirts.

josemaria