st: Stata Wish List

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Stata Wish List
Date   Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:58:31 -0700 (PDT)

One idea.  Rather than construct a one procedure only fix (e.g., one for
tab, and such), maybe a long-term (three to five stata major releases
away) solution is to do for model results what schemes do for graphics
results.  Just as schemes can be introduced to mimic some of the major
graph standards in use, an mscheme (m for model) could make all the output
appear in the form that is standard for major journals in the natural and
social sciences.  This might necessitate broadening the number of output
options (or increasing the ability of a user to suppress output) on
models.  Ultimately, the same functionality available in graph with
schemes, where I graph what I want and label matters as I want, would be
desireable for mscheme.

Maybe this already exists; I have not explored all the output options
stata has available.

That said, I haven't had a major problem with this in my own work.  My
difficulties come with getting the model estimated--after that happens, I
am only too happy to celebrate and even having to use low-tech solutions
for moving the findings into a paper can't dent my joy. :-)

Take care.
Sam