Re: st: STATA Wish List

From   David Kantor <>
Subject   Re: st: STATA Wish List
Date   Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:51:40 -0400

At 11:14 AM 10/20/2004 +0100, Stephen Kay wrote:

*       Ability to quickly copy over selected output straight to Microsoft
Word which looks as good as it does in the output window. I know you can
achieve this by running STATA's "translate" command but a quicker way would
be preferred. A two way output screen similar in appearence to SPSS's that
allows users to effortlessly copy over selected output to Word would be
ideal (but I think that's asking a bit much).
 Unfortunately in my commercial environment I'm
often called upon to produce lots of mind numbing contingency tables and it
is solely in this regard that SPSS has the advantage.
If I had a need to mass-produce such tables, I would look into the possibility of having an automated process that would create the distilled datasets in Stata, translate them to SPSS (using Stat/Transfer or a similar product), and launch SPSS to use that dataset and do whatever it needs to do to it.

You might spend a whole day making that work, if it is indeed possible, but it would be worthwhile if you succeed.

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies
Johns Hopkins University

* For searches and help try: