Re: st: Constraint, Poisson, & pseudo R^2

From   "maartenbuis" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Constraint, Poisson, & pseudo R^2
Date   Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:36:19 -0000

I do not have the entire answer, but I think I can narrow the problem
down a bit. The pseudo R^2 that -fitstat- report require the
loglikelihood of the model with only the constant, and -poisson- with
constraints do not report or save these. I do not know why. You could
of course estimate your model with only the constant and use the
formulas on page 92 of the long and freese book to calculate them
manually, but I would not do that before someone tells us why STATA
no longer reports these.

Why do you want to use the pseudo R^2? If you want to compare
constraint and unconstraint models, the likelihood ratio test is by
far more appropriate. If you want to asses model fit than I would
first test for overdispersion (for instance estimate a negative
binomial -nbreg- and test whether alpha equals zero) since this is
the most common problem with poisson regression.

Maarten

--- In [email protected], Rkaminski@a... wrote:
> Dave - thanks for your reply.  I'm not using Scott's add on for
the  model
> estimation. Interestingly, Stata version 7 provides the pseudo-R^2
value  when
> using the constraint, but version 8 does not.  This makes me think
Stata
> intentionally eliminated it from the output in the latest
incarnation.  Hopefully