Re: st: Re: St: Slow STATA

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: St: Slow STATA
Date   Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:00:06 +0100

> This looks like a bug. I tried it myself, and it seems to hang, with
> Stata apparently stuck in a loop (or a very long computation).  During
> that time, Stata is using 99% of processor time.
>
> When you remove the -, exact(9) - , it finishes in no time.

No surprise there as you've not specified the exact option which is whats taking up all
the CPU time.  The original post was seeking to obtain exact p-values for the table.

Another alternative to those suggested is the clump routine which was originally written
by Adrian Mander and is based on the stand-alone program clump (see
http://www.mds.qmw.ac.uk/statgen/dcurtis/software.html for source).  At present -findit
clump- does not yield any results but if you are interested in the Stata version of clump
then email me and I can forward you the files.

Neil

Neil Shephard
Genetics Statistician
ARC Epidemiology Unit, University of Manchester

"If your result needs a statistician then you should design a better experiment" -
Ernest Rutherford