st: RE: Re: RE: loop within loop

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: RE: loop within loop
Date   Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:29:31 +0100

I am less clear now on what your real problem is.

But being interested in several variables doesn't
make the issues any different. If you
want to put correlations into variables, you
must still operate with one correlation from
each pair of variables. -matrix accum- looks to me
like a poor choice of method. You end up
putting stuff into a matrix and then need
to get it out again, a bit like going to Houston
from Dallas via San Antonio, perhaps instructive
but nevertheless indirect. As you are cycling
over years and months, you need to work with
several matrices, which makes the problem yet
more complicated.

If I had a varlist a b c d e, there are
ten distinct correlations which we can denote
ab ac ad ae bc bd be cd ce de.

So I can go

foreach v in ab ac ad ae bc bd be cd ce de {
	gen `v' = .
}

and then some code to get all the correlations
from all pairs of variables, all years and months
might look like this, but this isn't tested:

tokenize "a b c d e"
qui forval i = 1/4 {
	forval j = 2/5 {
		forval y = 1988/2003 {
			forval m = 1/12 {
				corr ``i'' ``j'' if year == `y' & month == `m'
				replace ``i''``j'' = r(rho) if year == `y' & month == `m'
			}
		}
	}
}

As you say nothing about what went wrong
as far as you are concerned in your previous
code, I am not sure what you want me to explain.
I can't see an obvious syntax error.

As the FAQ advises, "Say exactly what you typed and exactly what
Stata typed (or did) in response."

Wang,Le