st: RE: Residuals from sequence of regressions

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Residuals from sequence of regressions
Date   Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:01:47 +0200

Dear Alex,

The following sollution may be less then elegant but it does work. The first few lines generate an example dataset. If you want to apply this to your own dataset you need the for loop and the -gen resid=.- command.

Maarten

/*

generate a dataset with hundred

`observations' in 10 `years'

*/

capture drop _all

set obs 1000

gen year = floor((_n-1)/100)

/* first hundred are year 0,

second hundred are year 1, etc. */

tab year

gen x = invnorm(uniform())

/* observations of x are draws from

a standard normal distribution */

gen y = 1 + 2*x + invnorm(uniform())

gen resid = .

/* create the variable in which

the residuals will be stored */

/* do the regressions and store the residuals */

forvalues i=0(1)9 {

reg y x if year==`i'

predict resid`i' if year==`i', resid

replace resid = resid`i' if resid==.