st: ivreg2 Griliches example instrument validity

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: ivreg2 Griliches example instrument validity
Date   Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:05:51 +0200

Hi,

I have been running the examples provided at the end of the documentation
for ivreg2 using the Griliches data (Wages of very young men, JPE '76), and
I have trouble interpreting the results of the tests for instrument
validity. The model is

ivreg2 lw s expr tenure rns smsa _I* (iq=med kww age mrt)

The tests for joint validity of the list of instruments (Sargan, Basman,
pseudo-S, pseudo-B, Hansen J in the case of GMM) all reject the null, ie
the excluded instruments are NOT jointly valid. Is this interpretation
correct ?

The orthog(age mrt) option further tests whether the subset (age mrt) of
instruments is valid

ivreg2 lw s expr tenure rns smsa _I* (iq=med kww age mrt), gmm orthog(age
mrt)

The C statistic rejects the null, implying that (age mrt) are NOT valid.
Correct ?

At the same time the Hansen J for the UNrestricted equation now fails to
reject its null, implying that the complementary subset of instruments (kww
med) ARE valid. Is this interpretation correct ?

Now I ran the same regression with the orthog option on the complementary
subset (kww med), ie

ivreg2 lw s expr tenure rns smsa _I* (iq=med kww age mrt), gmm orthog(kww
med)

In view of the above, I expected the Hansen J on the unrestricted model to
reject its null, and the C statistic not to reject its null. The former
expectation is confirmed, but the C statistic does reject, implying that
(kww med) are NOT valid. Is this not a contradiction to the Hansen J test
result above, which seemed to suggest that (kww med) are valid ?

Leaving aside the Hansen J results, the C results would suggest that none
of the (two pairs of) instruments are valid. But when I ran the regressions
with only (age mrt) and only (kww med) used as excluded instruments, ie

ivreg2 lw s expr tenure rns smsa _I* (iq=age mrt), gmm
ivreg2 lw s expr tenure rns smsa _I* (iq=kww med), gmm

the Hansen J failed to reject the null in both cases , suggesting that both
subsets ARE valid instruments ?!

So what am I missing here ?

Thanks
Ralph