st: Simple "Drop" Question

From   "mert 0723" <>
Subject   st: Simple "Drop" Question
Date   Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:16:23 -0400

I am trying to use the "Drop" function to do something that should be
simple, but I've looked through the manuals and can't find how to do it.

I have a big panel of n companies, with 10 years of data per company. The
companies are identified by the variable CONAME. If the company has a
negative dividend reported in any year, I would like to drop *all*
observations of that company (i.e. all observations associated with the
CONAME corresponding to the negative dividend figure). How do I do this? If
I just type "drop if dividend < 0", it only drops that observation, not the
other observations for that CONAME. Help appreciated.

Jim Shields