st: RE: Save -tabulate- output as matrix

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Save -tabulate- output as matrix
Date   Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:03:36 +0100

I agree: it's a simple problem. But I'm never
surprised that there aren't canned ways to
do things like this, as there are hundreds of
such simple things that might be wanted, and
far fewer commands.

Various things come close. The easiest way to do this
I can think of is

	preserve
	contract ... , freq(freq) percent(percent)
	mkmat freq percent, matrix(mymatrix)
	levels ..., local(levels)
	mat rownames mymatrix = `levels'
	restore

You could hack at a clone of -groups- (SSC)
to make it save matrices optionally.

Friedrich Huebler