Re: st: Slow STATA

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: Slow STATA
Date   Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:28:08 -0500

At 04:26 PM 10/11/2004 -0400, Wagner, Joseph wrote:
I have had trouble running a series of simple exact tests.  Whenever my
tables go beyond 2x2 to tables such as the example below, STATA grinds to a
virtual halt.  I waited a half hour before pressing the "break" button.
I just found a great way to speed this up if you haven't tried it already: Get the Oct. 6 update to the Stata executable. According to whatsnew, "tabulate and tabi with the exact option are now significantly faster; see help tabulate."

Stata isn't lying: The same command that took 2 hours 40 minutes with the old executable only took around 20 minutes with the new one (although I still wouldn't do that sort of thing routinely unless I definitely needed it.)

If you already have done the update and it is still intolerably slow -- then get a new machine I guess.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu