st: RE: Rituals [was: Terminology for supposedly all-purpose summaries]

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Rituals [was: Terminology for supposedly all-purpose summaries]
Date   Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:12:16 +0100

That's entertaining, although the start of
a different thread, mostly. I've often been
tempted (and rarely resisted) to use the terminology
"tribal" to refer to what particular groups
do, which meshes with the idea of ritual.

I didn't forget the word "test". What
you do with the number is distinct from
what you call it. To me, every test needs
a statistic. No matter.

Mathematical statisticians have no rituals??

"Let ... be iid ..."

"Assume a stationary process...."

If mud is to be slung, let it slung
in all directions.