st: RE: Osius-Rojek, Stukel's goodness of fit tests for Logistic Regression

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Osius-Rojek, Stukel's goodness of fit tests for Logistic Regression
Date   Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:59:11 +0200

Dear Brian:

Two remarks: 1) One of the problems with hypothesis testing is that if you have a very large dataset, than can very precisely measure very small effects, so you are likely to find significant results that are so small that they are not substantively meaningfull. This may or may not be the case in your dataset, but if your data are that large, than all other test will be effected by it to some degree. Anyhow, if you later on analyse the results I would not solely look at the significance levels, but also at whether the size of the effects (for instance odds ratios, or marginal effects) are large enough to be of any real interest. 2) General fit statistics do not tell you what the problem is and how to fix it. Do you have any hypotheses about why the fit is bad? If so, just test those hypotheses directly (and remember my earlier remarks about significance in a very large dataset). Also look at the deviance and the standardised pearson residuals.

Maarten