st: RE: HP Filter Weights -- Integers Only!?!

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: HP Filter Weights -- Integers Only!?!
Date   Sat, 9 Oct 2004 18:27:48 +0100

I guess you're referring to -hpfilter- as
published in STB-17.

The Statalist FAQ includes this advice:
"Say what command(s) you are using.
If they are not part of official Stata,
say where they come from: the STB/SJ,
SSC, or other archives."

What you _could_ do is copy the program
file to another file, edit the program
name in the -program- statement to be consistent,
and change the line

	local options "Lambda(int 1600) Suffix(str)"

	local options "Lambda(real 1600) Suffix(str)"

But then you've created a program for which
you should take responsibility. Among other
things, -hpfilter- as originally published
in the STB is set up on this basis: the
variable is assumed to be sorted on time
or some other ordering variable, which is
taken to come equally spaced, but this is not really
explained in the documentation. This may well
match your data, but watch out.

Uwe Berberich