st: RE: Reference Category for Dummy Variables

From   "David Harrison" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Reference Category for Dummy Variables
Date   Fri, 8 Oct 2004 08:56:44 +0100

If you are entering your 0/1 dummy variable directly into the logistic regression, then Stata does not "know" it is a dummy and treats it as it would any linear term... in other words the "reference category" will be 0 (as beta*0 = 0) and the odds ratio quoted will be for the category 1 (as beta*1 = beta).

If, on the other hand, you are (unnecessarily) using -xi- to declare your variable as a dummy then the default action will still be to omit the zero category (the first numerically or alphabetically) but this can be changed with -char varname[omit] #- or -char varname[omit] "string"- depending on the storage type... see the help for -xi-.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

David
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
From: Carter Ivan Rees [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 07 October 2004 21:18
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Reference Category for Dummy Variables

I am running a logistic regression and would like to know which category of a 0/1 dummy variable Stata uses as the reference category (first or last).    The results I am getting right now are counter intuitive.   I have checked my coding scheme and it is OK.  Thanks in advance.

Carter Rees, M.A.
Associate Research Scientist
Wyoming Survey�&�Analysis Center
710 Garfield St.