Re: st: Reversing an -update-

From   [email protected] (Shannon Driver, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Reversing an -update-
Date   Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:40:51 -0500

Renzo Comolli <[email protected]> wrote:
> The post here below made me wonder whether it is possible to reverse an
> executable update manually.
> If I remember well, in Stata 7 the swapping of the executable was done by
> hand, so the .old executable would have remained in the windows recycle bin.
> What happens to the old exectuble in Stata 8 (once Stata has restarted and
> has determined that it is working properly)? Is it erased from the disk?

Richard Williams <[email protected]> replied:
> On my machine at least I have wstata_old.exe.  I suppose a system restore
> in windows XP would also do the trick.  Potentially problematic would be
> the fact that the ado files may have been updated, causing your executable
> and your ado files to be out of sync.  I imagine that would only rarely be
> a problem though, e.g. if you had to go back from Stata 8.3 to 8.2.

Even though the old executable is kept in your Stata directory as a backup, you
should never revert back to your old executable unless instructed to do so by
Stata Technical Services.

Richard is right in saying that reverting to the old executable could cause
problems due to conflicts between the new ado-files that have been downloaded
and installed and the old executable.  That would be not the case in the
current situation.

Nevertheless, the issue with the Viewer window on Windows has been fixed.  A
new executable is available now.  You may obtain the update from our web site.

--Shannon Driver