Re: st: Reversing an -update-

From   Richard Williams <Richard.A.Williams.5@nd.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu, <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: Reversing an -update-
Date   Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:25:58 -0500

At 03:18 PM 10/6/2004 -0400, Renzo Comolli wrote:
The post here below made me wonder whether it is possible to reverse an
executable update manually.
If I remember well, in Stata 7 the swapping of the executable was done by
hand, so the .old executable would have remained in the windows recycle bin.
What happens to the old exectuble in Stata 8 (once Stata has restarted and
has determined that it is working properly)? Is it erased from the disk?

Best,
Renzo Comolli
On my machine at least I have wstata_old.exe. I suppose a system restore in windows XP would also do the trick. Potentially problematic would be the fact that the ado files may have been updated, causing your executable and your ado files to be out of sync. I imagine that would only rarely be a problem though, e.g. if you had to go back from Stata 8.3 to 8.2.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu