st: Histogram Question About Placement of Bars

From   "Alan Neustadtl" <>
To   "Statalist" <>
Subject   st: Histogram Question About Placement of Bars
Date   Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:59:32 -0400

I am trying to produce a histogram of a variable with only two possible responses, 1 and 2.  The graphic looks like I intended except for the large gap
between the y-axis and the first bar.  I would like to shift both bars to the left or begin the bars closer to the y-axis.

I have posted a jpeg of the histogram at and am using the following code:

hist prayer, percent discrete gap(20)                                      ///
       title("Approve of Supreme Court Decision Prohibiting Requiring the" ///
              "Recitation of the Lord's Prayer in Public Schools")         ///
       subtitle("(n=1,775)")                                               ///
       xlabel(1 "Approve" 2 "Disapprove")                                  ///
       xtitle("")                                                          ///
       ylabel(,angle(0))                                                   ///
       bfcolor(olive_teal) blcolor(teal)                                   ///
       note("Source: General Social Survey 2000")