RE: st: Can we change tick level for Y-axis?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Can we change tick level for Y-axis?
Date   Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:27:08 +0100

Let me rephrase my point. I was guessing
that part of the reason why you spent
2 hours looking for a solution was that
you were thinking in terms of axis ticks.

Once you learn that the right heading is
that of axis labels, then you are on
the right track.

As said, Stata's terminology in terms
of a distinction

	axis ticks = ticks only
	axis labels = ticks + text

is perhaps idiosyncratic (at least
some other software talks about
"labels" to mean their equivalent
of Stata's axis titles), but it's
been that way for a while. Of
course, that's immaterial to
people new to Stata.

Leo Rosten once explained that
he had written a book because
he wanted to read it. It's true
that quite a few users have
ended up writing brief
guides to Stata, and the common
rationale is that they wanted
their students or colleagues to read it.
Nevertheless I suspect that Rosten's
motive is not singular.

Lim, Nelson

> Thanks, Nick. I must say Michael's Guide, Svend's
> Introduction, and your
> columns help.
>
> But to say that "Stata's been consistent on that since the
> late 1980s,"
> is like saying all you need to learn English is read the OED, since it
> is quite consistent in describing English words since 1879. :-)

Nick Cox