Re: st: stata for unix

From   "Levy Lee" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: stata for unix
Date   Fri, 1 Oct 2004 11:21:00 +0800

thanks a lot

i will check what kind of unix version i am using

thanks again

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 1:57 AM
Subject: Re: st: stata for unix

> >    I have to use a unix version stata to run programs from our server,
but i
> > am not familar with this system. Where can i find some guidelines for
stata
> > unix 8.2?
> >

> Well it kind of depends on how your accessing the Unix system.  Does it
have X forwarding set up which would allow you a graphical interface (in
which case you would use the xstata executable), or are you  using a telnet
type client which would limit you to a command line (in which case you would
use the stata executable).  One limitation of the later is that you will
have difficulty displaying graphs (although a work around was provided
earlier today on the list, so check out the archives).

> Either way the commands that you use in Stata are virtually the same as
under Windows.  There are a few caveats such as Stata for *NIX recognises
the ~ to mean your personal root directory amongst other things.  One thing
you won't be able to do if you are restricted to the command line

> The "Getting Started with Stata for UNIX" manual would be a useful book to
get your hands on, check with your IT department if they have a copy
(failing that you could purchase it from the Stata bookstore).

> Overall though if you are familiar with Stata for Windows, then you should
have no problem migrating to Stata for *NIX.